Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Okie Pride


Today we visited Ojai, California, a charming and quirky little town where our friends' daughter lives. Rosalyn took Lin and me to the coolest book store -- Bart's Books. The place is put together like a house of cards. It started with a little house but now a maze of out-of-doors (but roofed-over) areas has been added on. Even the outside walls of the store have book shelves with books that stay out. A sign by the door says, "When closed, please throw coins in slot in the door for the amount marked on the book. Thank you." I loved it that the music playing was "If I ever get back to Oklahoma, I'm going to nail my feet to the ground." When I get home, I must check on the group's CDs -- it was Jason Boland and the Stragglers, a red-dirt band made up of members from Texas and Oklahoma. Roger Ray, brother of Bart's owner Dave Ray, plays steel guitar and dobro with the band. Cool, huh?

1 comment:

Libba said...

That sounds like the coolest bookstore EVER. I'm at my happiest when surrounded by books and the outdoors, and it combines them both. Pure bliss!