Saturday, December 20, 2008

Big Day at the Bird Bath


One of the best buys we ever made was a heated bird bath -- it's better than television. Boy, was it busy today. I counted 14 species -- most I could positively identify: chickadee, cardinal, blue jay, robin, tufted titmouse, house finch, goldfinch, wren, hairy woodpecker, bluebird and junco. Three I'm not sure about -- simply my best guess from poring over the bird book: pine siskin, yellow-rumped warbler and hermit thrush. Anybody else seen any of these or are these outlandish guesses? The other day there were five male cardinals in the trees in the back yard -- looked like God had tied bright scarlet Christmas bows on the bare branches. Today I got this picture of the bird bath -- sorry it's a bit blurry. You can enlarge the picture by clicking on it. You can easily see the cardinal and blue bird and robins. There's a goldfinch tucked behind the robins. Happy birding!

No comments: