Saturday, November 15, 2008

Getting Wicked in the Wichitas


Weight Watchers was a disaster this morning -- and I know why! Jack, my brother-in-law Dick and I took a road trip to Medicine Park yesterday to check out the Winery of the Wichitas and their wonderful Buffalo Bistro. Wine isn't really my thing -- my first drinks were Mogen David mixed with 7 Up and my palate hasn't progressed much from there -- but food is, and this place is a doozy! Executive chef Anna Banda (a graduate of Chef Kurt Fleishfresser's apprentice program) has taken old favorites and given them a new twist -- meat loaf sliders with caramelized onions, grilled cheese sandwiches made with Gruyere, Swiss and Cheddar. And what she has done to the peanut butter sandwich elevates her to the heights of gourmet goodiness! The dessert, pictured above, called the Vinny (after her husband, who loves it), features peanut butter on walnut-raisin bread, toasted, and topped with honey and caramelized bananas. I thought that sounded awful but, oh my goodness, just a sample bite wouldn't do -- I did real damage! Of course, there are much more figure-friendly items on the menu but as a working journalist, I felt compelled to try the specialties. So, reading public, this pound's for you!

No comments: