Monday, March 12, 2012

A Royal Winter Send-off for Spring Break









I'm loving the 70 degree weather, nodding daffodils and blue skies out my window. Meanwhile, my son, daughter-in-law and three grandsons are keeping their fingers crossed for great skiing in New Mexico


And it looks good. All four of the ski areas I visited last month are open now with ample snow -- all trails are open and no snow-making machines needed!




My family is headed to Angel Fire -- staying in the lodge. It's so convenient just to walk out the door and you're ready to go. Angel Fire has the easiest check-in of the four places. They have computer terminals to enter your height, weight, shoe-size -- and, if you're a regular -- that information comes right up.


I have to admit, my skiing days are now behind me. I discovered I could still ski a bit after a 35-year hiatus -- but the lift totally conquered me! I spent some quality time in the Stray Dog Cafe adjacent to the ski area and browsing in the gift shop in the lodge. I also toured the property -- there are some gorgeous homes here and, in summer, golf and horseback riding.



Ski Santa Fe has great facilities for serious skiers. I played around on the baby slope for a while -- but there were too many babies and not enough slope (and I'd given up on the lift by the time we got here -- our third stop). There were plenty of places to sit and watch the action and the facilities are expanding to accommodate more guests inside. This ski area is strictly that -- so if you're not a skier, stay in Santa Fe!





I loved Taos -- very European-looking! This was our last stop and I'd given up even pretending to ski and concentrated on apres-ski! The day was gorgeous and it was comfortable sitting in the sun and watching others negotiate the slopes. And I met this nice guy with the most precious little husky puppy!

I'm very nostalgic about Red River -- it was the last place my family skied years ago -- back when I could actually get off the lift by myself. And it was the first place we skied on this press trip. The first afternoon we took beginners' lessons and I was rockin'. It was the next morning when the lift was added that things began to look bleak for my career as an antique Olympian. I couldn't stand up fast enough. First trip up the lift -- pow, I hit the snow. The next few times, the instructor boosted me off. After that, I'd just shout at the attendant, "Watch out, here I come!" And he would grab my hand and pull me off. Humiliating! Fortunately, there are other things to do and the moonlight snowmobile ride we took was a super experience -- full moon and snow-covered pines looking like they belonged on a Christmas card. The town has such a great family feel -- very laid-back.


In spite of not being the skier I'd hoped to be when I signed on for the trip, I had a great time. Now I'm going to breathe deep and enjoy the pollen-laced spring air here in Oklahoma!

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I love the NM ski spots, but since I've never skied my opinion may not count. Nevertheless I love vacationing in NM especially in the summertime up in the mountains.

paschervente2012 said...

Sac A Main Pas cher 2012 femmes or hommes..
Tee shirts chanel femmes Pas Cher
jeans true religion femmes soldes 2012
sac a main pas cher votre meilleur chooice 2012 femmes or hommes...
Tee shirts louis vuitton femmes vente tee shirts louis vuitton 2012
Chaussures Femmes pas cher
Lunettes de soleil ray ban 2012
Tee shirts louis vuitton hommes pas cher
Lunettes de soleil armani pas cher !
boucle chanel Boucles d'oreilles Chanel,chanel Bijoux
Acheter maquillage pas cher maquillage mac
chaussures louis vuitton femmes pas cher 2012
Louis Vuitton Mens Handbag
billige Christian Louboutin Tall Boots
Louis Vuitton Loafers Shoes Women
Christian Louboutin Sandaler
billige Christian Louboutin Tall Boots
Replica Louis Vuitton Damier Handbag
louboutin sko billige