Sunday, December 20, 2009

Catching Up

I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted! What a busy couple of weeks. I did post on http://www.teddietravels.com/ so that the school kids could keep up with Vanilla before their Christmas vacation but I just didn't get around to posting here. So here goes.
The first of the month I went to Nashville -- I hadn't been since 2001. The purpose was to enjoy the Christmas attractions like the decorations at the Opryland Hotel,

to see the Radio City Rockettes Christmas Show,



and generally celebrate the season. (Including a great dinner at the Capitol Grille in the historic Hermitage Hotel)


But I also enjoyed some of the year-round goodies Nashville has to offer. The Country Music Hall of Fame is fabulous -- even for someone who isn't a big country music fan.


The new symphony hall is gorgeous. I think the symphony is probably excellent. Hate to sound like a philistine, but the program the night we attended was so dissonant that I couldn't tell if the orchestra and chorus got the music right or not. Two of the three pieces were chosen to recognize the 200th anniversary of Edgar Allan Poe's birth. Or maybe death -- he wasn't exactly the King of Jollies. And neither was the music. I was scratching in the bottom of my purse for an anti-depressant but Staci came up with a better idea.



Honky-tonkin'! Oh, yeah, nobody does it better than Nashville!

No comments: