Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tea Party




I just returned from Denver where I was a princess. It can happen to anyone staying at the Brown Palace Hotel. What a marvelous hotel -- one of America's great historic hostelries. My ultimate indulgence was the afternoon tea -- a 115-year tradition. Seated at a small marble-topped table in the lavish lobby, I pretended I was a Victorian lady (sans corset, thank you) as Catherine Rogers poured jasmine tea into my lovely Royal Doulton cup (shades of Hyacinth Bouquet!).


In the background, pianist John Kite provided a beautiful soundtrack of music from classical to romantic favorites from "Phantom of the Opera" and Rogers and Hammerstein (I'm not bothered by anachronisms in my fantasies). Next to my table, a group of girlfriends celebrated a birthday while at another table two young mothers enjoyed a relaxed moment.


This was my final memory of a memorable trip. I'm back in the real world -- not a princess here -- but it was fun while it lasted!


Photos: Tea included Devonshire cream and (clockwise around the plate from upper right) chicken salad with walnuts on honey wheat bread, watercress with tomato butter on brioche, sliced cucumbers with pesto sauce on sour dough, a nine-layer chocolate and mocha centennial cookie, a vanilla plum petit four, the Brown Palace's signature almond macaroon and, in the center, raspberry chocolate mousse tart and berry cheesecake.
Birthday party
A peek at a bit of the lobby -- John Kite at the piano.

No comments: