Thursday, August 19, 2010

Princess of the Plantation


Oh, yeah, I could live at Amelia Island Plantation. I had a beautiful room at the Amelia Inn -- and a balcony overlooking the ocean. I also had a great view of one of the golf courses -- there are three on the property.


Amelia Island Plantation occupies a good chunk of the south end of Amelia Island, Florida. The island, just off the east coast, is about as far north as you can get and still be in Florida. With a good stiff wind, you could spit on Georgia!

It was hot -- though it was hotter by five to ten degrees in Oklahoma -- but what it lacked in Fahrenheit, it made up in humidity! This misty, romantic shot isn't fog -- it's just a steamed up camera lens. Every time I walked outside, I became temporarily blind until I could wipe off my glasses!


One of the highlights of my trip was a Segway tour. Five of us -- and our guide and Segway-sitter Gary -- wound our way along some of the many paths and roads that ribbon through the Plantation.


When we'd gotten about as far as we could from our starting point, the clouds opened and dumped on us. I didn't plan on wearing see-through pants but that's what they were by the time we got back! Wet as I was, I'd do it again in a minute.


There are almost 2000 residences on the Plantation -- a number in several high-rise buildings but many free-standing houses tucked in the trees. Planners were way ahead of their time in considering the environment -- they preserved between 70 and 80 per cent of the tree canopy. I loved riding down this alley of live oaks dripping with Spanish moss.




I went to sleep at night with the sound of the ocean in my ears. What luxury. I felt like Cinderella at the ball. But now it's back to reality. Just pass me my pumpkin.

1 comment:

Pete Sleeper said...

Lovely photos and stories, as per usual. The Segway becomes you...