Saturday, February 20, 2010

This Is the Coolest!!!!

The Hotel de Glace, near Quebec, has got to be the coolest hotel I've ever visited. Made of 15,000 tons of snow and 500 tons of ice, it takes a month to build and is open from January until April (weather willing). Then it's taken down and dumped in a nearby lake -- the ultimate in recycling.



This year's hotel features 36 rooms -- a number of them suites -- and some amazing public areas. The suites feature beautiful snow carved walls. Check out the roses in the honeymoon suite and the polar bear in the suite of that name.


The temperature is kept between 26 and 28 degrees Fahrenheit. The furniture -- including this fabulous chandelier -- is made of ice. Wooden boards and mattresses top the ice beds and visitors bundle up in mummy-like sleeping bags.


The chapel is a popular spot. There were five weddings over Valentine's Day weekend.




Did I spend the night. Nope. But I did enjoy the bar! The hard cider in ice glasses was super!


A votre sante!


2 comments:

Jen said...

What an experience! Had I know about this venue, I might have booked my wedding here. Great picture, Elaine!

Unknown said...

Oh how cool, literally lol! I have always wanted to visit one of these ice hotels, I think they're amazing.

BTW LMAO at your comment :-)