Monday, November 23, 2009

Family Feasting


Now for something completely different. I'm thankful for so many things but top of my list is family and I'm looking forward to seeing almost everyone on Thanksgiving Day. We're missing Zoe and Simon -- doing their own version of Thanksgiving this weekend in England. I mailed cans of pumpkin so Zoe could make a pumpkin pie. Not sure what they'll do about turkey since they are vegetarians. Anyway, Thanksgiving here will be great with Jay and Carolyn and the boys (several years younger in the picture above), Carolyn's mom and sister and niece Alyssa. We're hoping Jack's 96 year-old mother will feel like joining us.



Nobody in my family likes dark meat so I'll be fixing two large turkey breasts. We'll have dressing and gravy, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, a jello salad and sweet potatoes. I love my sweet potato recipe because it has all the taste without a lot of calories. My gift to you is my recipe:




Canned cut sweet potatoes to equal about 5 cups


! cup unsweetened applesauce


1 tsp. vanilla


1/2 tsp. cinnamon


1 egg yolk


2 egg whites


1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar


2 tbs. all-purpose flour


2 tbs. chopped pecans


2 tbs. margarine, melted


10 servings -- approximately 210 calories, 2 grams of fat and 2 grams of fiber


In a food processor, blend sweet potatoes, applesauce and vanilla until smooth. Add spices and egg yolk and continue to blend until smooth. Spoon into a large bowl and set aside.


In another bowl, beat room temperature egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the egg whites into the sweet potatoes then gently fold in the remainder.


Spoon into a 1 1/2 quart souffle dish which has been sprayed with cooking spray.


Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and pecans and sprinkle over the top. Bake in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for about 35 minutes or until set.


Enjoy!

No comments: